Rajkotupdates.news : america granted work permits for indian spouses of h-1 b visa holders
Rajkotupdates.news : america granted work permits for indian spouses of h-1 b visa holders: In a recent move that has brought a sigh of relief for many Indian families, the United States has granted work permits for Indian spouses of H-1B visa holders. The decision comes as a welcome move for thousands of Indian families who have been waiting for this announcement for a long time.
H-1B visas are popular among Indian professionals who aspire to work in the United States. They are temporary work visas that allow U.S. employers to hire foreign workers in specialty occupations that require technical or theoretical expertise. The H-1B visa program has been a crucial component of the U.S. economy, especially in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
However, the visa program had a significant limitation. Until recently, the spouses of H-1B visa holders, who are predominantly women, were not authorized to work in the United States. This meant that many of them were forced to give up their careers and remain dependent on their husbands’ incomes.
The new policy, announced by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on May 26, 2021, enables eligible H-4 dependent spouses to apply for and receive employment authorization. This will provide them with the opportunity to work and contribute to the U.S. economy.
The policy applies to H-4 visa holders who are spouses of H-1B workers who have been approved for permanent residency but are waiting for their green card to become available. It also applies to those whose H-1B spouses are in the process of seeking an extension of their stay beyond the maximum six-year limit under the program.
The decision to grant work permits to H-4 visa holders has been welcomed by the Indian community in the United States, who have been advocating for this change for years. It is also seen as a significant step towards gender equality and empowering women, who make up the majority of H-4 visa holders.
The key H-1B visa conditions: Rajkotupdates.news : america granted work permits for indian spouses of h-1 b visa holders
- Specialty occupation: The H-1B visa is only available for specialty occupations, which require a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specific field of study. The employer must provide evidence that the position requires such specialized knowledge.
- Employer sponsorship: The H-1B visa is employer-sponsored, which means the employer must apply for and obtain the visa on behalf of the employee. The employer must file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor (DOL) before filing the H-1B petition with USCIS.
- Prevailing wage: The employer must pay the H-1B worker the prevailing wage for the specific occupation and location where the work will be performed. The DOL provides the prevailing wage for each occupation and location.
- Full-time employment: The H-1B worker must be employed on a full-time basis. This means the worker must work at least 35 hours per week.
- No benching: The employer may not “bench” the H-1B worker, which means the employer may not keep the worker on payroll without assigning any work. The employer must pay the worker the full salary even if there is no work available.
- Change of employer: If the H-1B worker changes employers, the new employer must file a new H-1B petition. The worker may not begin working for the new employer until the new H-1B petition is approved.
- Change of job duties: If the H-1B worker’s job duties change significantly, the employer must file an amended H-1B petition with USCIS.
- Maintain valid status: The H-1B worker must maintain valid status while in the US. This means the worker must follow the terms and conditions of the H-1B visa and may not work for any employer other than the H-1B sponsor.
- Visa expiration: The H-1B visa is valid for a maximum of 6 years. After the visa expires, the worker must leave the US unless they obtain a new visa or change to another visa status.
- Dependents: H-1B workers may bring their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the US as dependents. Dependents may study in the US but may not work without obtaining their own work visa.
The move is expected to have a positive impact on the U.S. economy, as it will enable more skilled professionals to contribute to the workforce. It will also alleviate the financial burden on many families who have been struggling to make ends meet on a single income.
In conclusion, the decision to grant work permits for Indian spouses of H-1B visa holders is a step in the right direction. It not only benefits the affected families but also helps to strengthen the U.S. economy. The move reflects the U.S. government’s commitment to creating a more inclusive and equitable society, which is essential for a thriving and prosperous future.